"What does it mean for me to see shelves filled with papaya soap?"
This statement brings into light an issue prevalent in some Asian countries, with the Philippines being of no exception. As a person who grew up in the Philippines, I chose this statement because the issue that it brings forth is something that I have been exposed to. I have witnessed its manifestations firsthand.
Papaya soap is said to be a skin whitening agent. The issue revolves around the notion that a lighter complexion proves to be more desirable than a darker complexion. The predominance of Caucasians in global mass media has yielded adverse effects on local Philippine media. Local show business in the Philippines is largely dominated by actors and actresses with light skin or are of mixed Caucasian and Asian ancestry, thereby reinforcing the problematic mentality.
This makes me sad because it conjures a thought that we may not be truly free from the shackles of our colonial past. It breeds immense absurdity that paves the way toward self-hate and internalized racism. Pilipinos should understand that there is beauty in our brown skin. I need not mention the accomplishment of Venus Raj, a Pilipina with a dark complexion.
No comments:
Post a Comment